Brooklyn water main replacement and repair work is specialty work performed within the NYC licensed plumbing industry. Plumbing contractors that perform this type of work must meet certain criteria to be qualified.
- Licensed by the NYC Department of Buildings as Master Plumbers.
- Must have liability insurance for a minimum of $1,000,000.00 for each occurrence.
- Must have workers compensation insurance for their entire work force.
- Must be bonded with the NYC DOT in order to secure permits.
- Must not sub contract out any plumbing work – all work must be performed by an employee who is under their direct supervision.
- NYC Licensed Plumbers must have their place of business within the city limits.
In some respects being in compliance with all the city code requirements is only the beginning of the story. The most skilled plumber may have no idea how to properly install or repair a water main properly and to code. In addition Brooklyn water main work presents unique conditions each and every day. It seems that not a day goes by when some unexpected condition pops up. Brooklyn water main job sites routinely encounter issues such as:
- Buried trolley tracks that have to cut out and removed using a torch.
- Underground obstructions such as subway shafts and main distribution lines.
- Banks of utilities that demand installing the water service above 3 1/2′ deep. Insulating and plating is required for a shallow water service line.
- Landmarked areas that have to restored just as they were found.
- Classic iron fences that have to be left untouched or expertly put back in place.
- Old rock foundation walls that have to penetrated and then carefully put back in place and waterproofed.
- Unique brick or cobblestone roadways that must be restored in-kind.
- Newly paved roadways that must be restored to strict DOT compliance.
Trusted in Brooklyn since 1952
Needless to say when Brooklyn water main work is required choosing the right contractor can save a lot of aggravation. Joseph L. Balkan Inc is a NYC water main contractor that has been in continuous operation for over 60 years. It is unlikely that a situation will arise that we have not encountered previously, and probably more than once. With a management team that has decades of experience and a 48,000 square foot facility Balkan has a solution for any water main or subsurface situation. In addition our expert office staff is familiar with the entire permit process and can expedite the start and completion of your work.
From Red Hook to Cypress Hills and from Seagate to Greenpoint, or anywhere in between, we can provide same day service featuring free site visits and no-obligation written estimates. We never subcontract any aspect of water main or sewer line work. Balkan features in-house paving and cement crews, in-house fabricators and mechanics, and state-of-art tools and materials. When you require quality you can count on Balkan’s exclusive use of domestic materials and fitting that meet or exceed code requirements.
Read more about Brooklyn water main work
- Water Main Emergency Work Can Mean DEP Shutdown Fees For Homeowners Posted on: May 15, 2013
Water main emergency work on service lines in New York City can result [...]
- Copper Water Main Lines - What You Need To Know Posted on: April 23, 2013
K copper water main service lines supply the vast majority of water to [...]
- The 10 Steps For A Successful Water Line Repair Or Water Line Replacement Posted on: April 15, 2013
When water line repair or water line replacement work is needed work should [...]
- Water Main Break In Brooklyn At Evergreens Cemetery Posted on: April 4, 2013
A water main break is more likely to occur during the Winter and [...]
- Water Hammer And How It Can Damage Pipes And Plumbing Systems Posted on: March 8, 2013
Water hammer which is also called hydraulic shock can occur in various plumbing [...]
- Winter Weather Plumbing Notice - Prevent Frozen Pipes In Unoccupied Homes Posted on: February 5, 2013
Frozen pipes become burst pipes after they defrost. This Winter poses special challenges [...]
- Useful Information Regarding Main Water Line Repairs In NYC Posted on: December 11, 2012
A main water line for a building in NYC typically lasts for around [...]
- Test For A Water Line Leak By Using A Meter Posted on: November 28, 2012
Properly testing for a water main leak requires expertise and skill – and [...]
- Preventing Water Damage Before The Next Time - The Aftermath Of Hurricane Sandy Posted on: November 15, 2012
Hurricane Sandy caused severe water damage from tidal waters, which in many NYC [...]
- Winterize Your Plumbing - Sub Freezing Weather Is Coming Posted on: October 30, 2012
Winterizing your plumbing before sub-freezing weather arrives can usually be easily accomplished and [...]
Joseph L. Balkan, Inc. | Sewer and Water Main Specialists
130-01 Jamaica Avenue Richmond Hill, NY 11418
Phone: (718) 849-0900 | Espanol (718) 943-5720 | Fax: (718) 849-9570