How Do You Know If You Need Your Sewer Repaired?
Technically sewer work is considered a repair when anything less than your entire house sewer line is replaced. Even if you replace 1/2 of your the run of pipe, it is still technically considered a sewer repair.
With that said, there are a number of reasons you may be considering digging up your underground house sewer.
Properly Diagnosing Your Sewer Line Issue
The first bit of good advice is to have a HD Sewer Camera Video inspection performed on your sewer line. A camera inspection will make 100% sure there is a structural defect in your pipe system and what and where the defect is.
You can start with a instant quote or schedule a sewer inspection.
5 Conditions That Require Sewer Repair
There are many reasons why a home or business may require sewer repair. These are some of the most common sewer problems we see.
- Root infiltration that cannot be cleared, or re-emerges often.
- Dislodged or broken sections of your sewer run.
- A grease stoppage that cannot be cleared, or reoccurs.
- Constant backups and flooding after heavy rains or snow melts.
- Your house sewer is improperly back-pitched.
Read our House Sewer Repair Tutorial article.
Repairing Different Types Of Pipe Materials And Sizes
When doing a sewer repair frequently different types of materials, and sizes of pipe, must be connected together. Unlike inside plumbing, underground plumbing has a limited list of approved fittings in NYC.
By and large clamps and reducing gaskets are not permitted by NYC plumbing code. Typically extra heavy cast iron reducers and increasers are used to transition to different sized and types of sewer pipe.
Expected Cost Of A NYC Sewer Repair
There are many variables in estimating the cost of a sewer repair in New York City. As a general rule, the cost of a repair is about 40-60% of the price of a full replacement.
Barring some unusual circumstances, that typically results into a price range of $6,000.00 to $15,000. The primary variables in cost are:
- The location of the repair: Inside your home, inside the property boundary, or under Public property. Repairs inside the property boundary boundary will frequently fall below the above referenced price range.
- Depth of the run of pipe: After a depth of about 7′ a backhoe will be needed. After a depth of about 9′ the work will most likely take 2 workdays.
- Roadway work: Once work is needed under a roadway things get complicated. Utility obstructions, city inspections, and extreme depth all add to the cost.