Knowing the water line replacement and sewer line replacement cost factors is an issue faced by thousands of NYC property owners every year. Two common questions are “What comprises the cost factors for a house sewer replacement” and “What is the actual cost for a water and sewer line replacement”. These are common questions faced by property owners throughout NYC when dealing with water main and sewer problems.
Naturally, the replacement cost can be the most important determining factor in making your final hiring decision. This article will attempt you give a basic understanding of the factors. It is up to your water main and sewer contractor to explain them to your satisfaction, and in detail. At Balkan, you can rest assured all of your questions and concerns will be addressed before work ever starts.
Factors that affect water and sewer line replacement cost
There are two main categories that will affect the replacement cost for a water line or a sewer line replacement. They fall into categories that involve technical issues, and not surprisingly, who you hire.
Technical issues affect water line and sewer line replacement cost
Technical issues are pretty basic and easy to understand. As an example, living on a busy street in Manhattan, is far different than living on a quiet block in Queens. That difference in location will surely affect the price of your job.
- Length of the run for the water line or sewer line. A typical length of run for either service is around 45′ long.
- The size of the water and sewer service line (material replacement cost). That being said, material is not typically a major cost factor.
- Which side of the street the NYC water main is on. Typically the city water main is 8′ out into the roadway from the curb of the sidewalk where the fire hydrant is located. Water service lines are designated as either “short water” or “long water”.
- The depth of the sewer line as it exits the property. Any home sewer that exits a building greater than 8′ deep will affect the price.
- How deep the point of connection to the public NYC sewer is will also affect the price. City sewers deeper then 12′ are more costly to replace.
- The amount of cement and roadway restoration required to restore areas disturbed during your water line or sewer line replacement is a cost factor.
- If a roadway has been reconstructed, or resurfaced within the last 5 years, the DOT required special procedures be followed. This is called a ‘Protected Street’.
- NYC DEP and NYC DOT permits fees add to the cost. However, they are a small fraction of the overall water and sewer line replacement cost. However, note that NYC DEP permits for repair and replacement work are actually free.
Sewer and water main contractors have different price structures
The second factor affecting replacement cost, is also perhaps the most important. That is which water and sewer line contractor you choose to hire. Labor, overhead, and profit comprises anywhere from 60% to more of the cost of the typical water line and sewer line replacement cost. There is only water line and sewer line replacement contractor in NYC who offers all of the following. That is Balkan Sewer And Water Main Service.
- A ‘uniform pricing policy’ that ensures a fair and uniform price no matter the severity of the water and sewer line problem.
- Bulk purchasing of all materials to ensure the lowest material costs possible.
- In-house paving and cement crews to ensure low cost, and close oversight. This results in professional restoration of disturbed areas usually within 24 hours.
- No sub-contracting, so you receive ‘deal direct’ pricing and accurate job site reports.
- Hands-on Family Ownership that eliminates multi-level management. Excessive overhead costs will add to the water line replacement or sewer line replacement cost on your job.
- In-house mechanics to keep the fleet rolling you. This avoids expensive and sometimes unreliable use of outside repair shops.
- All Balkan employees are full time, and the vast majority are long-term Balkan Team members. By having a stable labor force our replacement cost rates are among the lowest, if not the lowest, in the entire NYC plumbing industry.
- A 48,000 square foot facility. This ensures all needed tools, materials, and equipment are on hand, in stock, and purchased in advance. Our bulk purchasing allows us to the best negotiated price.
- Balkan constantly invests in new and modern specialty tools and equipment.
- Over 65 years of experience, which saves our Clients replacement cost on a daily basis. With our expertise unnecessary and unneeded water line and sewer work is avoided. Avoiding an unnecessary job is priceless, literally.
Free no-obligation on-site visits and free written estimates
For over 65 years throughout Queens, Brooklyn, Manhattan, and the Bronx the property owners of NYC trust their water line replacement and house sewer replacement work to Balkan. Getting the right job doneat the right price, as promised and every time is important. But, another Balkan advantage is is free and no-obligation site visits being available 7 days a week.
Pipe Lining And Trenchless Sewer Line Replacement
An important issue to always keep in mind in NYC for a sewer line replacement is that both the NYC Department of Buildings and the NYC Department of Environmental Protection expressly state that sewer liners and trenchless house sewers are illegal.
Sewer liners do not fix a dislodged, back pitched, root infested, or crushed sewer line. Sewer liners are meant as rehabilitation for a properly functioning public sewer line, not as a means to perform a house sewer line replacement. In addition sewer liners frequently cost more than the typical and legal house sewer line replacement cost.