House sewer and water main disconnections for demolition. We know how important it is to have mission critical milestones be completed correctly and on time. Delays cost money. When your next major alteration or new construction project requires whole site demolition, remember that work cannot begin until you have your water main and house sewer service properly disconnected.
Next day restoration is S.O.P. (Standard operating procedure). NYC DEP sign-off’s are expedited by our in-house staff. At Balkan, your subsurface plumbing needs always receive a high level of service and attention. After 60 years, the Sewer and Water Main Specialists at Balkan Plumbing has performed more sewer and water main disconnections than anyone else in New York City.
Repair, Restore, Replacement & More
Many times people confuse ‘disconnection’ with just turning a service off, that is incorrect. A disconnection of a water service is a permanent termination of that service, it cannot be turned back on again. The threads used to connect a service line to the tap connection are actually cut off the connection on the city main making it unusable ever again. Water services are ‘plugged’ at the point of connection to the city water main, which are typically in the roadway. If a new line is required for that property, permits must be secured and a new tap drilled by NYC DEP personnel.
Sewer disconnections are typically done at the curb line and without having to open the roadway. When exposed under the curb line the house sewer is plugged using concrete or a properly sized plug fitting. Unlike a water service line plug a sewer can be re-activated at a later date. Frequently when the property is redeveloped the sewer plug can be reused at the curb line if is at the proper elevation and in good working condition. This is another reason the sewer disconnection is done at the curb line, to save money when a sewer is needed again in the future and avoid having to open the roadway.
All water and sewer disconnection work required NYC DEP permits prior to work taking place. Before permits can be secured by the Licensed Master Plumber they must receive a permission letter from the property owner authorizing the water and sewer services to be permanently disconnected. After permits are secured inspections are arranged for, all disconnection work must be inspected in order to be properly signed-off and legalized. After the work is signed-off the NYC Water Registry stops billing for that location due to no ‘live’ services existing any longer.
Why Do We Need a Sewer System?*
Each time you flush the toilet or you wash something down the sink’s drain into your house sewer – you create sewage (also known in polite society as wastewater). One question that many people might ask is, “Why not simply dump this wastewater onto the ground outside the house, or into a nearby stream?” There are three main things about wastewater that make it something you don’t want to release into the environment:
- It stinks. If you release wastewater directly into the environment, things get very smelly very fast.
- It contains harmful bacteria. Human waste naturally contains coliform bacteria (for example, E. coli) and other bacteria that can cause disease. Once water becomes infected with these bacteria, it becomes a health hazard.
- It contains suspended solids and chemicals that affect the environment.
- Wastewater contains nitrogen and phosphates that, being fertilizers, encourage the growth of algae. Excessive algae growth can block sunlight and foul the water. Wastewater contains organic material that bacteria in the environment will start decomposing. When they do, these bacteria consume oxygen in the water. The resulting lack of oxygen kills fish.
- The suspended solids in wastewater make the water look murky and can affect the ability of many fish to breathe and see.
The increased algae, reduced oxygen and murkiness destroy the ability of a stream or lake to support wildlife, and all of the fish, frogs and other life forms quickly die.
- No one wants to live in an place that stinks, is full of deadly bacteria and cannot support aquatic life. That’s why communities build wastewater treatment plants and enforce laws against the release of raw sewage into the environment.
Why Balkan Sewer & Water Main For Disconnections?
- Our high level of satisfaction typically results in Balkan returning when the site is re-developed and new house sewer and water main services are required. Balkan has disconnected such a large number of sewer and water main services that when the need arises to restore the services we may already know the particulars of your system.
- Requests for having a water main and sewer disconnected are always a top priority. Work is routinely started and completed within 24 hours of NYC DEP permits being secured including required NYC DEP inspections. This saves both time and money.
Contact a water services disconnection specialist via our 24/7 plumbing service online form or call us at (718) 849-0900.