New York, USA (MARCH 18th 2010) FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Desmond in Queens Village was shocked to find that due to an emergency water main break on his water main service line, the NYC Department of Environmental Protection closed the tap connection for his water main service to halt the water main break.
At 8 AM in the morning, what could he do? Desmond spoke to a friend of his. His friend remembered using Joseph L. Balkan, Inc. on his own house’s water main break and being happy with the work. Within 30 minutes of calling Balkan Sewer and Water Main Service a representative was ringing his door bell. Desmond received a fair and accurate quote, which he accepted. When would the water main work start? Within 45 minutes Balkan secured a NYC DOT Emergency Permit and had a full crew on the site starting work. When would the fix for the water main break be completed? By the end of the same work day not only was water restored, but the entire water main service line had been replaced with an upgraded copper service and a larger connection into the City main. Desmond was left with a job well-done, and better water pressure than he ever had before. Problem solved – Results not excuses.
About Queens Village
Queens Village was founded as Little Plains in the 1640s.
Homage to this part of Queens Village history is found on the sign above the Long Island Railroad Station there. In 1824, Thomas Brush established a blacksmith shop in the area. He prospered and built several other shops and a factory, and the area soon became known as Brushville. In 1834, the railroad arrived. The first station in the area was called Flushing Avenue in 1837, Delancy Avenue in 1838, and Brushville in 1842, likely about a mile west of the present station. In 1856, residents voted to change the name from Brushville to Queens. The name “Inglewood” also was used for both the village and the train station in the 1860s and 1870s. The name Brushville was still used in an 1860 New York Times article, but both Queens and Brushville are used in an 1870 article. Maps from 1873 show portions of Queens Village (then called Inglewood and Queens) in the Town of Hempstead, but 1891 maps show it entirely in the Town of Jamaica. After the Borough of Queens became incorporated as part of the City of Greater New York in 1898, and the new county of Nassau was created in 1899, the border between the city and Nassau County was set directly east of Queens Village. A 1901 article in the Brooklyn Eagle already uses the full name Queens Village, a name that had been used as late as the 1880s for Lloyd’s Neck, New York in present-day Suffolk County. In 1923, the Long Island Railroad added Village to its station’s name to avoid confusion with the county of the same name, and thus the neighborhood became known as Queens Village.
Queens Village, like many parts of Queens, is extremely diverse. Caribbean American, African, African American, Guyanese, Hispanic, Indian, Filipino, and Russian people all have significant populations among the 48,670 people living within the area.
Formerly, a very large Jewish community existed. However, many Jewish families have left for other parts of Queens and parts of Long Island. Still, there is a small Jewish presence in Queens Village, that has recently been augmented by an increase of Middle Eastern Jews. There has also been an increase in the number of Asian American residents. Queens Village is home to a large Filipino American community.
Queens Village is one of Queens County’s affluent neighborhoods. As of 2008, the median income is $66,290, and the median home sales price is around $467,764.