Believe it or not a house trap on a sewer line is vitally important in many ways that you would probably never think of. That “thing” you see in the bottom of a pit in your basement can cause an awful lot of aggravation or damage if it is not functioning properly, is in poor condition, or is not operated properly.
Improperly Fitting Or Missing Sewer Trap Covers Pose A Danger
- Will allow noxious gases to escape into the premises from your sewer line.
- Allow for rodents, insects, but not alligators, to enter into a premises.
- Can allow raw sewage to enter into a premise if a back up occurs.
Trap plugs or caps cost around $10.00 or less each. They are made in at least three varieties, and are readily available from any plumbing supply or local hardware store. They are easily installed on a house sewer using basic household tools or can be installed by your plumber. Whoever takes the time to install a new plug or cap will be paying a small price for preventing damage, inconvenience, and rodent or pest infestation. In addition this minor maintenance can prevent an unhealthy condition and noxious gases from entering in your property from your drain line. This is another case where performing minor plumbing maintenance is well worth the effort.
What is the preferred type of cap or plug for a trap?
A cap is used when meant to fit over the outer edge of the sewer trap. In this case the preferred cap is called a jim cap. It has an adjustable metal band around it that makes it extremely water tight. When a plug is needed the recommended plug is called a wing nut test plug. It is also likewise adjustable and extremely water tight. Both of these items are ideal when needed for an existing trap which may be slightly worn or have some corrosion present on the contact points .
Why A Double Vent Trap Is So Important
A double vent trap allows for cleaning of the pipe in two directions. A house drain can be easily cleaned either out towards the public sewer or towards the inside house drain. A single vent style unit is not legal for a sanitary NYC house sewer primarily because it is much harder to perform cleaning when required.
Another important factor is that water is held in the bottom of a house trap. This water creates a barrier which prevents any harmful or unpleasant sewer gases from entering into your property.
Sometimes when a sewer is unused for some time there will be a foul sewer smell in a property because the water in the bottom of the house trap has dried up and evaporated. Simply running some water inside the property will fill the bottom of the house trap back up again and solve the problem.
What Plumbing Material Is Best?
Various materials are used in the manufacture of house drain pipe and fittings. In the case of a trap PVC, service weight cast iron, and extra heavy cast iron can be used legally in NYC in most cases. One exception is that PVC is not legal for commercial properties . Because a trap is prone to be opened and closed repeatedly and have electric snakes placed in them for cleaning it is strongly suggested that extra heavy cast iron be used.
PVC is prone to crack or wear out from cleaning, and service weight cast iron rusts and corrodes much sooner than extra heavy. Pipe and fittings made from extra heavy cast iron pipe can withstand decades of wear and tear without any fear of damage or the need for future repairs – in addition the cost difference is not substantial.
An extra heavy cast iron sewer trap will last longer and be much more durable than pvc , no hub, or service weight cast iron. It is well worth the cost difference in the long run.
It should be noted that double vent PVC traps are not manufactured. They have to be made by putting together different fittings such as a return bend and two tee-wyes. Another point to note is that sewer cleaning machines use sharp and abrasive blades. When inserted into a trap these blades come into direct contact with the walls of the trap. This is another reason PVC is not recommended. PVC can be damaged when contacted directly by sewer cleaning blades in this way.
How To Open A House Trap Properly And Safely
- Whenever possible make sure the public sewer is not backed up prior to opening a house trap. If a public or NYC sewer is backed up and a house trap is opened is could be disastrous. The public or NYC sewer will then drain out of your house drain and fill your premises with raw sewage. This can potentially cause extensive damage with severe health ramifications.
- Always open the “street side” plug first. That way if there is a trap stoppage the back up will flow over the opened plug and out to the street when the “house side” plug is opened. If the “house side” plug is opened first and there is a stoppage the backed up waste water will have no means to escape and will fill up your sewer pit or dump on your floor.
Related articles about sewer and house trap work
- Sewer Trap Replacement For A Busy Queens Pizzeria Posted on: September 19, 2013
Sewer trap replacement work for a house drain can be […]
- A Sewer Pit For Access That Is Safe, Secure, And Water Tight Posted on: June 7, 2013
A sewer pit is also known as an access pit. […]
- A Sewer Gate Valve Installation From Balkan Is Unique Posted on: November 19, 2012
A sewer valve is unique and designed differently than any […]
- Water Line Replacement In Flushing, Hurricane Sandy Topples A Tree Posted on: November 6, 2012
Water line replacements can be needed at any time. Recently […]
- A Sewer Valve Stops City Sewers From Backing Up Into Your Home Posted on: November 2, 2012
A sewer gate valve can completely prevent a city sewer […]
About Joseph L. Balkan Inc.
Balkan Plumbing is the largest sewer and water main company in NYC. We are licensed, bonded, and insured. As a family run sewer contractor and water main contractor in operation for over 60 years our 10 year unconditional guarantee on replacement work is your assurance of a quality installation and piece of mind.
Our field forces arrive on time and perform work as promised because they are backed by our 48,000 square foot facility, a fleet of trucks, heavy moving equipment, backhoes, pneumatics, and the most experienced support staff in the industry. For all your sewer replacement, catch basin, fire hydrant, manhole, fire sprinkler service, water main and sewer check valve work.